Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Top Ten Recording Artists of all Time

To have made this list, the artist in question needed to not only have a wonderful and prolific career, they needed to do it almost entirely on their own merit. For example, any of the Beatles do not qualify. Now, I know that there could possibly be a complaint about the whether or not my choice for #4 was prolific… to which I respond… blow me. And I am completely ignoring classical music. Last time I went to the symphony, I got pregnant, so… yeah. Still a little upset about that one.

1. Bob Dylan
That was a tough one.

2. Miles Davis
I know some of the later stuff kind of went off the deep end, but don't forget that he gave birth to the cool.

3. Marvin Gaye
Every now and then I check in with Marvin to see what's going on. That's a lie… I don't check in every now and then, I check in on Marvin every week.

4. Robert Johnson
Okay, I know that he only recorded what, 32 songs… but if it wasn't for Mr. Johnson, none of the other artists on this list would, well, be on this list.

5. Louis Armstrong
Another no brainer for a top list. I know he's not really jazz and he's not really vocal-easy-listening-grandpa music, but man could that guy make some music.

6. Chuck Berry
One of the most influential musicians of all time. Is, and always will be, one of the best.

7. Woody Guthrie
Almost single handedly spawned a major musical movement.

8. Billie Holiday
If sex had a soundtrack, I'm sure Billie would have the opening and closing tracks. The rest of the album would be the sound of a boot stuck in mud, and if you're like me, just a little bit of crying towards the end. But the important songs would be sung by Billie.

9. Paul Simon
I was really unsure about this one, because it really is debatable as to who was the more important member of Simon and Garfunkle…

10. Johnny Cash
A good one to finsh on.

Barely missing the cut: Townes Van Zandt, Tom Waits, Ella Fitzgerald, The Boss, Duke Ellington, Elmore James, Mr. Thelonious Monk, James Brown, Pete Seeger, and I debated Lou Reed and Iggy Pop, but really wasn't sure they would have made the top ten anyway.

Post Script: John Coltrane and Wynton Marsalis.

Post, Post Script: Bob Dylan.

With love and judgement,
The Delta Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment